One of many only a few issues that give cricketers the legendary tag to their identify is longevity. Enjoying for extra years can solely imply they’ve performed constant cricket. One can’t play for a very long time with out delivering what the workforce desires persistently. A bowler choosing greater than 500 wickets in Check cricket is much like a batsman scoring an mixture of 10000 runs in a single format.
The truth is, it’s fairly rarer and an even bigger achievement than that.
Solely seven gamers within the historical past of 100+ years lengthy Check cricket has break the barrier of 500 Check scalps thus far. The closest members to this group among the many present bowlers, Nathan Lyon and Ravichandran Ashwin, are nonetheless greater than 100 wickets brief to get into this elite bowlers membership.
The West Indian quick bowler, Courtney Walsh, is the primary bowler to interrupt into the 500-wickets mark in Check cricket.
With the latest inclusion of Stuart Broad into this elite membership, here’s a weblog for all these members who went previous the magical quantity – 500 Check Wickets milestone.
Record of Bowlers with 500 Check wickets
Here’s a checklist of all bowlers, who’ve picked greater than 500 wickets in Check cricket:
|Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)||133||230||800||67/22||22.72||55.0||2.47|
|Shane Warne (AUS)||145||273||708||37/10||25.41||57.4||2.65|
|Anil Kumble (IND)||132||236||619||35/8||29.65||65.9||2.69|
|James Anderson (ENG)||153||286||589||28/3||26.85||56.3||2.86|
|Glenn McGrath (AUS)||124||243||563||29/3||21.64||51.9||2.49|
|Courtney Walsh (WI)||132||242||519||22/3||24.44||57.8||2.53|
|Stuart Broad (ENG)||140||258||501||18/3||27.94||56.7||2.95|
- Amongst these seven bowlers, there are three spinners (curiously, an off-spinner, a leg-breaker, and a leg-spinner) and 4 quick bowlers.
- The spin trio – Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, and Anil Kumble, on this order, prime the general checklist of main wicket-takers in Check cricket.
- Two bowlers respectively from Australia and England, and one every from India, Sri Lanka, and West Indies have achieved this feat thus far.
- Out of those 7, Walsh, McGrath, Warne, Murali, and Kumble are the one 5 bowlers in Check cricket to bowl greater than 5000 Overs in Check cricket.
- Different notable stats is, all these seven bowlers are right-handed. The report for the very best wicket-taking left-handed bowlers belongs to Rangana Herath of Sri Lanka, who has taken 433 wickets and ranks 10th total. He’s adopted by Wasim Akram (414) of Pakistan and Daniel Vettori (362) of New Zealand.
- Each bowler within the above checklist has no less than performed one Check within the 21st century. The best wicket-taking Check bowler, who has not performed a single Check within the 2000s, is Kapil Dev, who performed from 1978-1994 and took 434 wickets.
- The Sri Lankan bowler, Muralitharan convincingly leads the highest Check wicket-taker chart with a lead of 92 wickets from the 2nd ranked Australian Warne.
Quickest and Slowest to 500 Check Wickets
Right here’s the elite members ranked from the quickest and slowest when it comes to Check matches and days they took to select 500 Check wickets:
|BOWLERS||FASTEST IN TERMS OF TEST MATCHES||FASTEST IN TERMS OF DAYS|
|Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)||87||11Y 201D|
|Anil Kumble (IND)||105||15Y 212D|
|Shane Warne (AUS)||108||12Y 66D|
|Glenn McGrath (AUS)||110||11Y 251D|
|Courtney Walsh (WI)||129||16Y 128D|
|James Anderson (ENG)||129||14Y 108D|
|Stuart Broad (ENG)||140||12Y 228D|
- Muttiah Muralitharan, whose cricketing journey longed for nearly 20 years, is the quickest to realize this mark in Check cricket. He picked his 500th wicket in his 87th Check match towards Australia in his hometown Kandy.
- Stuart Broad, who’s the newest entry to the membership, is the slowest to succeed in 5 hundred Check wickets. Even then, he’s sooner than three different bowlers on this checklist when it comes to days to succeed in the 500-wicket mark.
Who’re the 500th Wickets?
Right here’s an inventory of the 500th Wicket of all Check bowlers who’ve achieved the feat:
|Courtney Walsh||Jacques Kallis||South Africa||March 2001||Trinidad|
|Shane Warne||Hashan Tillakaratne||Sri Lanka||March 2004||Galle|
|Muttiah Muralitharan||Michael Kasprowicz||Australia||March 2004||Kandy|
|Glenn McGrath||Marcus Trescothick||England||July 2005||London|
|Anil Kumble||Steve Harmison||England||March 2006||Mohali|
|James Anderson||Kraigg Brathwaite||West Indies||September 2017||London|
|Stuart Broad||Kraigg Brathwaite||West Indies||July 2020||Manchester|
- Curiously, the West Indian opening batsman Kraigg Brathwaite is the 500th sufferer of each the English bowlers Anderson and Broad.
- The opposite workforce with two 500th victims is England itself, with Marcus Trescothick and Steve Harmison falling to Mcgrath and Kumble, respectively, as their 500th scalp.
- Notably, each Warne and Muralitharan have crossed the 500-wicket barrier in two completely different Exams of the identical sequence.
- The 2 pacers within the checklist, McGrath, and Anderson picked their 500th-milestone wicket in the identical venue – Lord’s Cricket Floor, London.